Tuesday 26 June 2012

World Bird Wednesday - Australian Wood Ducks

These are Australian Wood Ducks.  They seemed very at home in the wet and flooded roadsides around the house we stayed in a few weeks ago at Lorne.
They were a little less accommodating than the “Balcony Birds” of previous posts, and made up for their photogenic nature being leaving an unbelievable amount of bird poo everywhere!  My kids seem to find this funny!
This bird goes by the scientific name of Chenonetta jubata , but there is a deal of controversy about what other ducks its related to.  It could be a dabbling duck, but then again it could be a shellduck – what it unquestionably is, is good looking!
You can find more birds at the equally good looking World Bird Wednesday.
You can find the post on my other blog that feature these ducks here.
Enjoy the birds.

21 comments:

  1. the tiniest little bill ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome ducks! Your wood ducks are completely different from ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty birds Stewart. I like the speckled front.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. There is a small flock that lives on the roads and spare blocks around here and they are fun to watch. They seem to have worked out how to avoid the traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sweet looking birds.. and quite different from our wood ducks. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures you show of a beautiful wood duks.
    Wishing you a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now aren't these ducks the most adorable creatures? I love the photos, the clarity and color are phenomenal, you done good Stewart! :-) Yes I'm tired tonight, that's when my gooder English comes out... no more writing for me tonight!

    Cheers and g'nite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stewart, your wood ducks are pretty. Great photos. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are good looking!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good photos!
    Happy WBW to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe it's my imagination but I swear I can see your reflection in the Wood-ducks eye on number two...
    Your right, Ecobirder did post the picture I'm still dreaming about getting of the Yellow-headed blackbird. An unintentional tease I'm sure. A least I've been within a hundred yards of one now and got a picture, I count that as a Tick&Pic. Extra points!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Stewart. Yes an interesting duck. A new one to me and with my unaccustomed eye its head shape reminds me of a Brent Goose, but I can see some similarity to our Shelduck. Good to see you had lots of rain too - just like being back in the UK huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fantastic looking ducks, and wonderful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A really dandy duck! Looks too lady-like to make a mess, but appearances can deceive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful ducks! Their bills are so small!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are good looking ducks Stewart, even if they do poo a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Greetings from Brasov!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A new duck for me also Stewart. It certainly looks small and dainty, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. VERY nice! I haven't seen these ducks before, but I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful looking bird, splendid images~

    ReplyDelete