Tuesday 20 September 2016

Rock Art 1

One of the non-birding things I was looking forward to during my recent trip to Darwin was revisiting some rock art sites I had not been to since I owned a digital camera - all the images I had of these places from earlier visits were on slides.  (If you dont know what these are, you are either one of my younger readers, or I much older than I think!)

These images were taken at the famous Ubirr art site in Kakadu.  I will be creating a few posts containing image of rock art - which posses a bit of issue for me.  My understanding of what these images signify is almost nil, so any attempt by me to explain what the images would almost certainly be wrong.  I am also aware that the broad function of much of this art is to allow people to tell their own story - and its not my story to tell.  So, I am going to post the images will minimal comment (except one set) and simply leave it to the images to convey the sophistication of the culture that create them.




The main image on the rock is of a wallaby - possibly Agile Wallaby.  And the white figure, is a white person - I'll post more about that image later.  The Moth is Dysphania unmana or the 4 O'Clock Moth. It gets its common name as it is a day flying moth.

You can find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday.

19 comments:

  1. Well the moth is obviously trying to steal the show. How old is this rock art?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting spot for that moth to land!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I like the rock art and the moth! Great photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful moth.

    The history of the art numbs me. I assume they are pretty old?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hum...not sooooo old, if it includes the image of a white man, huh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, it might not be a white person but an alien. I've heard of them as my previous Oz friend worked in Darwin. But i love most that blue moth, if you didn't tell me i will think it is a butterfly. Don't worry, i know slides, even transparencies or acetates, no power point yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Moth. I do love the rock art, having seen some in Australia on the couple of visits we have seen there. Also seen Bushman paintings in South Africa and more recently the Petroglyphs in Nevada and Arizona. All slightly different but very interesting. Thanks for sharing this post Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant Stewart, fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting rock art - I like it better than some of the more modern artists!
    Beautiful moth - like a jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to believe that you are going to look into the meaning and history of these wonderful rock paintings. Have never known you to let something this interesting go. These are wonderful and isn't it your luck that the 4 o'clock moth showed up. Or did you go at 4 o'clock knowing it would be there :) Luck seems to go where you go ... love this post and am very curious. I will try to explore the internet to find out more about them. Thanks, Stewart :p

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice rock art. It seems like the butterfly thinks so too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love rock art which we have many fine examples here in the southwest of the States. I also like to imply the thought that some art was inspired by alien visitors. Why not? Good for conversation and makes those standing near to take a step back away from you. :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the rock art very much and think you are exactly right not to try to interpret them for us. The only thing I'd like to know and I'm sure you will tell us subsequently is how old the drawings are. The moth makes a lovely pointer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful images. The moth has great taste. Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sophisticated Rock Art...especially the Wallaby. The Moth adds to the photo's loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting rock!! The Moth is an added touch..Love the Wallaby..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing stuff! What a bonus that the moth hung around to photo bomb your pictures.
    Thanks for great post Stewart!

    ReplyDelete