Wednesday 14 September 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday 216 - Forest Kingfisher

Kingfishers are really rather wonderful birds. And as a result I was really pleased to have the chance to photograph some when I was in the Northern Territory.

On the first day of the tour, more or less at the first place we stopped at, we found a Forest Kingfisher (Todiramphus macleayii) showing rather well on a wire fence.  This bird was rather more obliging than many kingfishers I have tried to photograph, and as such I was able to get a little closer to it than normal.

The Forest Kingfisher is about 20cm long and it is not a bird I get to see in South East Australia, as it has a more northern distribution.  Although its name is 'forest' this bird can be found in a range of habitats, often near water, where it feeds on insects, small lizards and frogs.








To join in with Wild Bird Wednesday, just click on the blue button below;

25 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous Kingfisher! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You obtained some wonderful views of this handsome bird. I have also found our local Belted Kingfishers to usually be camera-shy. Thanks for hosting us, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous blue on this Kingfisher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful bird and excellent capture.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Gorgeous kingfisher and awesome photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bird. Amazing photographs. Good job! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beak is almost out of proportion from the rest of him. Lovely blue feathers though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this one. We saw it at several occations but, of course, not this close. :) Thanks for sharing your gorgeous images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful birds . You have done well to capture it so nicely. I took one in a tree but he moved his head behind a branch and then we had passed it in the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of a lovely bird!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful bird and great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent shot, I still have to wait for the pleasure of taking a photo of a kingfisher. Have a good day Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a stunning kingfisher. The wing feather colouring is beautiful - it looks like the ocean on a clear day. Definitely very different from our kingfishers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry I missed posting this week ... I was on a short trip to Canada with my son and his wife. There will, of course, be pictures :) I love the Kingfishers ... this little fella has a more distinct look of his own. Most Kingfishers look the same with different coloring ... at least that has been my experience. This is a wonderful series of shots, Stewart. I agree, he was quite obliging ... right time, right place and a talented cameraman :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stewart, the Forest Kingfisher, what a delightful bird. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to think a Kingfisher was a Kingfisher ... I was wrong. What a lovely one this is!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos - I rarely ever get a decent shot of a bird. They're so fast and I don't have the right lens for distance. Flowers stand still for me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great Kingfisher. I will shre mine on your link.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely bird! You have taken some excellent shots! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a truly beautiful capture of that amazing kingfisher, love it's colour!
    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete