Monday 30 January 2017

Black Sand Beaches

One of the things I was looking forward to seeing in New Zealand were the black sand beaches.  These beaches are produced from dark volcanic rocks and are rich in iron.   If you have not seen pictures of this beach before, you may have seen them in the 1993 film The Piano.

It took me a little while to work out that the beach was in fact clean, and you could kneel in the sand and just brush it off, just like normal sand.  It was a rather strange and beautiful place.

These pictures were taken at Karekare, which is on the west coast of North Island, less than an hour from Aukland.








I have added two versions of the final image - taken a few seconds apart as my family wandered into the picture.  I think I like the second version more, because of the sense of scale the people give the picture.

You can find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday.

13 comments:

  1. Amazing!
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life on the beach, black or white, is tough, ain't it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely even greater with the people.. I've always heard about black sand -- I'd have trouble at first believing it was clean (or I would have before I read this post -- now I'd know) .... how interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely beaches, and great photos of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just doesn't look right to have black sand although your photos are stunning. I have seen black sand on the island of Tenerife but I couldn't sit down on it, as you say, it just looks dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos of a very intriguing place ~ the beach is always a wonder ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a happy and peaceful week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do remember the black sanded beach in The Piano..totally forgot about it..One would never realize that the beach is that large..Thanks to your family for showing us..Nice pictures..Good to know that it isn't really dirty..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool shots! I also like the last photo of the two with your family in it for scale... Very cool! I've been to a black sand beach in Hawaii...years ago...looking forward to our trip to Australia soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, nice pictures. Had heard about black sand beaches some time back, nice to see them through your Lens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So unlike what we have here...but still beautiful in their own unique way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great images, Stewart! I was wondering about how clean the sand was... you have answered that. I love the last image with your family. People do give a great sense of scale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to go there. Great pics Stewart.
    I really like the last photo.

    ReplyDelete